Acetylene (Ethyne)

  • C2H2
  • Molar Mass = 26.0378 g/m
Acetylene (Gaseous Form)



  • Clear, odorless gas
  • Has a stench of garlic when phosphene interacts with it.


Discovered in 1836 by Edmund Davy, but not officially named "Acetylene" until re-discovered by Marcellin Berthelot in 1860, during the blinding of the Nobel Laureate Gustaf Dalén in the midst of an acetylene explosion.


  • Melting Point = -84°C
  • Boiling Point = -80.8°C
  • Density = 1.09670 kg/m³


Acetylene is primarily used in the United States for chemical synthesis. This accounts for about 80 percent of the acetylene manufactured. The other 20 percent is used mostly for acetylene torches, which are used for welding and cutting metal. Acetylene can also be used for radiocarbon dating and as a feedstock for nanotechnology.


Acetylene is made up of two carbon atoms triple bonded together to form a linear structure with two hydrogen atoms coming off of the carbons forming a 180 degree angle.
  • Covalent Bonding


  • Carbon = 24.022/26.0378 g/m, 92.26%, 50%(by number)
  • Hydrogen = 2.01588/26.0378 g/m, 7.74%, 50%(by number)


Acetylene is obtained through the synthesis of calcium carbide and water to produce raw acetylene and calcium hydroxide.

Chemical Properties and Reactions

  • Above 400C, pyrolysis (chemical decomposition by heating in the absence of oxygen) will start
  • C4H4 and benzene, an aromatic compound, can be produced by heating acetylene.
  • When heated above 900C, soot will be produced.
  • Extremely conductive material is produced when reacted with iodine.

Works Cited (Demonstration of the explosive properties of acetylene) (Online encyclopedia entry for acetylene; includes details on structure and uses) (Melting point and density information) (Boiling Point and Melting Point)


Cooper Obenreder
Chad Dolgos
Jesse Smith